CBS WINS MAY SWEEP
CBS's Post-Strike Momentum, Which Began with the Return of Its Original Scripted Programming, Leads the Network to its Sixth Consecutive May Sweeps Win in Viewers
CBS Makes it Four Straight Weekly Wins in Viewers and Fifth in the
Last Seven Weeks
Since the March Return of Original Programming, CBS Is Number One in Viewers
and #2 in Adults 18-49
CBS will win its sixth consecutive May sweep in viewers led by solid monthly performances from its scripted series as well as the finale of SURVIVOR and year-to-year increases from THE 43RD ANNUAL ACADEMY OF COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS.
CBS's late season momentum, which began with the post-strike return of original episodes of the its stable of hit scripted series, led CBS to its fourth consecutive weekly win in viewers and fifth in the last seven weeks, according to Nielsen ratings for the week ending May 18, week 34 of the 2007-2008 television season.
Since the return of original programming in late March, CBS has regained its leadership position in viewers, ranking Number One in viewers and #2 in adults 18-49.
For the May sweep in viewers (with three days left): CBS (10.15m), ABC (9.29m), FOX (8.68m) and NBC (5.91m).
In May, CBS won every Thursday in viewers and every Friday in viewers and key demographics. The Network also posted strong season finale ratings from its Monday comedies and saw year-to-year increases with its presentation of THE 43RD ANNUAL ACADEMY OF COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS.
In viewers, CBS has three of the sweep-to-date's Top 10 programs and nine of the top 20 (more than any other Network).
...CBS Programs In Top 20
#3 - CSI (Top Scripted Series, Top Drama)
#9 - NCIS
#10 - CSI: MIAMI
#11 - WITHOUT A TRACE
#12 - TWO AND A HALF MEN (Top Comedy)
#13 - CRIMINAL MINDS
#14 - SURVIVOR: MICRONESIA
#15 - CSI: NY
#16 - COLD CASE
Among adults 25-54, CBS has two of the Top 10 and eight of the Top 20 (more than any other network) while among adults 18-49, CBS has three of the top 10 and seven of the top 20 (tied for most of any network w/ABC).
Updated May ratings will be available on Thursday.
Since the return of original scripted programming in March, CBS has reclaimed its position of leadership among viewers (10.50m) while also ranking second in adults 18-49 (2.9/08). CBS has the Number One scripted program on five nights (more than all other networks combined): Monday (CSI: MIAMI), Tuesday (NCIS), Wednesday (CRIMINAL MINDS), Thursday (CSI) and Friday (NUMB3RS).
Since March in viewers, CBS has more top 20 programs than all the other networks combined: #4 CSI (number one scripted series); #8 NCIS; #9; CSI: MIAMI; #10 TWO AND A HALF MEN (number one comedy); #11 WITHOUT A TRACE; #13 CRIMINAL MINDS; #14 SURVIVOR: MICRONESIA; #15 THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE; #16 CSI: NY; and #18 COLD CASE.
Since March among adults 18-49, CBS has seven of the Top 20 (more than any other network) while among adults 25-54, CBS claims nine of the Top 20 (more than any other network).
Week 34 Ratings:
For the week in viewers: CBS (10.33m), ABC (9.56m), FOX (9.20m) and NBC (5.54m). Season-to-date, CBS is second in viewers (10.48m), behind FOX (11.10m) and ahead of ABC (9.22m) and NBC (8.12m).
For the week in households: CBS (6.7/11), ABC (6.2/11), FOX (5.6/09) and NBC (3.6/06). Season-to-date, CBS is first (6.7/11), +2% ahead of FOX (6.6/11), +12% ahead of ABC (6.0/10) and +29% ahead of NBC (5.2/08).
National Nielsen Rank for Demographic: PER2+ for 5/12/2008 - 5/18/2008
Persons 2+ (000)
1. American Idol-Wednesday FOX 24863
2. American Idol-Tuesday FOX 24772
3. Dancing With the Stars ABC 18469
4. CSI CBS 18063
5. Dancing With Stars Results ABC 16987
6. Desperate Housewives ABC 16837
7. Grey's Anatomy-Thursday 9PM ABC 15546
8. House-Monday 9P FOX 15022
9. NCIS CBS 14879
10. WITHOUT A TRACE CBS 14537
11. CSI: MIAMI CBS 13923
12. TWO AND A HALF MEN CBS 13824
13. CRIMINAL MINDS CBS 12876
14. CSI: NY CBS 11858
15. ACM AWARDS (S) CBS 11731
16. Law and Order: SVU NBC 11496
17. Hell's Kitchen FOX 11308
18. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition ABC 11217
19. Lost ABC 10962
20. 60 MINUTES CBS 10790
National Nielsen Rank for Demographic: A2554 for 5/12/2008 - 5/18/2008
1. American Idol-Wednesday FOX 10.7
2. American Idol-Tuesday FOX 10.4
3. DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES ABC 7.4
4. Grey's Anatomy-Thursday 9PM ABC 6.9
5. CSI CBS 6.6
6. House-Monday 9P FOX 6.4
6. TWO AND A HALF MEN CBS 6.4
8. Dancing With the Stars ABC 5.7
9. Hell's Kitchen FOX 5.6
10. Lost ABC 5.5
11. Dancing With Stars Results ABC 5.2
12. CSI: MIAMI CBS 5.0
13. RULES OF ENGAGEMENT CBS 4.9
14. WITHOUT A TRACE CBS 4.8
15. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition ABC 4.7
16. Law and Order: SVU NBC 4.6
17. HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER CBS 4.5
18. Office NBC 4.3
18. NCIS CBS 4.3
20. CRIMINAL MINDS CBS 4.1
20. CSI: NY CBS 4.1
National Nielsen Rank for Demographic: A1849 for 5/12/2008 - 5/18/2008
1. American Idol-Wednesday FOX 9.2
2. American Idol-Tuesday FOX 9.0
3. Desperate Housewives ABC 6.2
4. Grey's Anatomy-Thursday 9P ABC 6.1
5. House-Monday 9P FOX 5.9
6. Hell's Kitchen FOX 5.1
6. TWO AND A HALF MEN CBS 5.1
8. Lost ABC 4.9
8. CSI CBS 4.9
10. Dancing With the Stars ABC 4.2
10. Office NBC 4.2
12. Dancing With the Stars Results ABC 4.1
12. RULES OF ENGAGEMENT CBS 4.1
12. CSI: MIAMI CBS 4.1
15. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition ABC 3.9
16. Law and Order: SVU NBC 3.8
16. HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER CBS 3.8
18. WITHOUT A TRACE CBS 3.6
19. Bones-Monday 8P FOX 3.3
19. E.R. NBC 3.3
* * *
Ed Harrison 323/575-4254 firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeremy Murphy 212/975-4577 email@example.com