CBS RADIO BREAKS NEW GROUND FOR CONSUMERS AND ADVERTISERS WITH RE-LAUNCH OF STREAMING MEDIA PLAYER
The CBS Interactive Music Group and CBS RADIO’s leading news, talk and sports stations today launched a new streaming platform creating the simplest, most listener-friendly online radio experience in the industry. Under the foundation URL Radio.com, the rich-data website has the flexibility to allow consumers to listen, learn, discover, as well as build their music profile through scrobbling with Last.fm, the world’s leading music discovery website backed by a worldwide community of more than 40 million unique monthly users.
Combining the power of 130 CBS RADIO stations, along with hundreds of interactive stations from its streaming partners, Radio.com has everything for users looking to consume audio online.
Advertisers will also benefit from the redesign and resulting increase in pageviews by enjoying more ad placement opportunities, including a visual history of audio spots heard while listening to the stream, and improved audience measurement.
Following in the footsteps of CBS RADIO’s more than 90 updated music station websites and the Radio.com iPad app launched in April, the new streaming media player is built to provide the audience with an environment where they can immerse themselves with information about their favorite station, band, or artist, and read more on the latest developments in the world of music, sports, politics and local news.
Core features that have always been a part of the player such as display of currently-playing song and artist, song history, station/genre/location search, favorite presets and ecommerce options will remain with enhanced functionality, and the following distinctive updates have been included:
▪ Robust artist information, biographies, photo galleries, touring status and a list of similar artists listeners might like all powered by Last.fm;
▪ Blogs, news feeds, and video and audio clips from every CBS RADIO station with links back to the originating Website. Nearly 25,000 content posts are populated across the network of sites on a monthly basis;
▪ Track your music listening habits through scrobbling, the proprietary technology pioneered by Last.fm. Once a listener downloads the Scrobbler Software they can see what artists they listen to the most, get recommendations, and create personalized radio stations with the information contained in their profile;
▪ On screen access to Last.fm Trends, a daily blog post reflective of the more than 40 million scrobbles the music service receives every day. As the go-to source for what’s hot right now in the world of music, Last.fm Trends will also provide insight into which artists are being played the most, and who to watch out for in the coming months;
▪ Share artists, and stations with friends via email, and social networks Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and Linkedin, among dozens of other choices.
About CBS RADIO
CBS RADIO is one of the largest major-market operators and online radio services in the United States, with stations covering news, sports, talk, rock, oldies, country, adult contemporary and urban formats, among others. Through the combination of on-air, online, on-demand and mobile platforms, CBS RADIO offers audiences an enhanced and customized listening experience. The division of CBS Corporation operates 130 radio stations throughout the nation’s top 50 markets including the most listened to news (1010 WINS), sports (WFAN-AM), rock (KROQ-FM) and country (WUSN-FM) stations. Additionally, CBS RADIO broadcasts play-by-play coverage of more than two dozen of the country’s leading professional sports franchises, and maintains an exclusive agreement with both AOL Radio and Yahoo! Music Radio through which CBS RADIO powers AOL Radio and Yahoo! Music Radio and distributes their stations to its network of listeners. For more information on CBS RADIO, please visit www.cbsradio.com.
About CBS Interactive Music Group
The CBS Interactive Music Group is comprised of a diverse collection of leading consumer music brands readily accessible across a variety of broadband, mobile and digital platforms by a worldwide audience of more than 45 million unique monthly users. Home to such properties as Radio.com, Last.fm, and mp3.com, the CBS Interactive Music Group provides unmatched access for music fans to interact with material from the biggest names in the industry, as well as discover new and breaking artists and share their personal taste in music with friends and other like-minded fans.
In addition, the CBS Interactive Music Group powers both AOL Radio and Yahoo! Music Radio bringing a total of more than 600 mainstream and specialty stations to the masses. The division also has established content partnerships with VEVO, the web’s leading premium music video and entertainment service, and the popular gaming platform Xbox Live. For more information please visit www.cbsimg.com